Thinking of 24mm Zeiss f/1.8? Just get it, trust me.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MatthewWongPhotography Regular Member • Posts: 146
Thinking of 24mm Zeiss f/1.8? Just get it, trust me.

I've been shooting with my a6000 + 35mm f/1.8 OSS lens for almost 2 years. I'm a 1-lens type of guy; Give me only one decent prime lens and I'll use it to death. With the 35mm photography was fun and the pictures were always good, but they almost always had a similar theme: tops of heads chopped off on indoor photos. Just barely getting groups of people to fit. Me backing up and walking into people or tripping over things to frame the shot. Face shots. Face shots. Lots and lots of face shots and not much else in terms of background.

If you're expecting a 35mm (APS-C) to be your one prime-do-it-all, don't torture yourself like I did.

I've always wanted the 24mm but the $1000 price tag created a mental barrier in my head where I just wasn't allowed to have it. Additionally, everyone on dpreview who didn't have one seemed to be doing just fine. (And they wouldn't be wrong - there are tons of great lenses out there). But if you're a 1-lens type of guy or gal like me, then look no further.

This is the one prime-do-it-all lens!

I got lucky and found a used version in excellent condition for ~$700 on Amazon. I haven't had a lot of time to use it or been on any shooting adventures, but from what I can already tell, it's as every bit amazing as everyone who's used it has said. The metal construction is solid and the "Zeiss color pop" does truly exist (I always thought it was just a myth until I saw my first OOC JPEG - which is shown below). Being able to capture "what the eye sees" at 24mm without backing up completely changes the photography experience and well-worth the price tag.

If things go well, I'll likely sell my 35mm. There's just no reason for me to go back! Thanks for reading!

My first shot with the lens, sitting down in the next chair. Was immediately impressed by the color and sharpness, since I wasn't even really trying.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow