Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Aitoritu Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

jeffharris wrote:

Aitoritu wrote:

skatemurai wrote:

Aitoritu wrote:

I had the same question when getting my first m43 camera, the panasonic gx85. Never tried a manual focus lens and was kind of scared. My experience has been great so far, I think manual focusing is a joy and adds something to the experience of taking photos. With focus peaking and focus magnifier (make sure you have both options) manual focusing is easy, being able to photograph moving kids with a success ratio of around 80%. Pictures between 0.95 and 1.2 are more than usable, although pictures show a bit of chromatic aberration. I found a second hand voigtlander for 600 euros and decided to pull the trigger...

Subject isolation is much higher than a 1.8 lens, so if you are willing to get a nice bokeh with subjects at a considerable distance, go for it!

Thanks for an answer. I am considering purchasing Voigtlanders 10.5 / 25 / 42.5 to have complete kit, but not sure if it is right move to make because of money (I love Voigts thought). I can always sell it right?

I would start with one of them and try if you like it. I have read the 10.5 is not that great compared to the others. It depends on what you are shooting, I chose the 42.5 because I love doing portraits, but it will depend on what you like more. Bear in mind that as lovely as they are they are heavy as hell... For me one is enough to get the full frame look, and use other lighter lenses for the rest of my needs...

Oh c'mon, the Voigts aren't THAT heavy. Sure, they're a little chunky, but what they can deliver easily voids that concern.

Typically, I'll carry 3 Voigtländers… 17.5mm, 42.5mm and a 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar (adapted L39 screwmount).

Considering I am coming from a sony RX100 and this is my first serious camera, the voigtlander 42.5 is a bit of a pain... Also it does not balance well with the panasonic gx85. Agree with you that the results are worth, beutiful images coming from this beast.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow