Issue with concentric rings on E-M1 Mark II (edited title)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 4,936
Re: Mystery solved (yes, it's shading comp.)

Astrotripper wrote:

Thank you to all who suggested looking into shading compensation. Looks like this is the culprit. I had this option enabled on my E-M10 and never noticed any issues, so it is a bit surprise to me that it is on E-M1.2. But what is a real shocker to me is that this option affects RAW files. I had no idea this was the case. All this time I was living in ignorance. I feel so stupid now not knowing this. Actually, I now remember I was a bit surprised that darktable brightened the corners a bit too much when I enabled lens corrections for vignetting on 100-300. It was mild so I immediately forgot about it. But now I know it was because it was applying vignetting correction on an already corrected image.

Anyways, here's two shots after updating firmware to 1.1. One with shading comp. enabled one with disabled. I don't know if this is the firmware update or I'm just imagining things, but I think I had to push a bit harder and the rings were not as obvious this time when chimping.

Anyway, glad this is resolved, I will turn off shading comp. on all my bodies right now

Thanks again to all who responded with suggestions, tips, their own samples and so on. Much appreciated.

Funny I was always told to keep this off.  I don't even know what it's supposed to do.  Would you say the shading compensation being turned off was the main difference, or upgrading to the new firmware, or doing a reset?

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GBC
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow