Any issues with 5-axis stabilization and macro

Started Mar 18, 2017 | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 2,645
Re: Any issues with 5-axis stabilization and macro

I commonly shoot macro with the 60mm and near macro with the 12-40. In low light, I always use a tripod because of one's body moving slightly back and forth and lower SS. For flowers, etc. on spring/summer hikes with good light this is not really that necessary. I also shoot S-AF or more commonly MF. In doubt, it is so easy to fire off 3-4-5 images and sometimes one is clearly better than the others. Just more detail in editing.

Also focus is more important than the concept of diffraction. Raising the F stop a couple of stops on a macro shot gives a better chance of having the right focus. With the complexity of say a flower, there would have to be a lot of diffraction - not 10-15% - for the result to be noticeable particularly for subjects like a flower lacking a hard edge. I'll sometimes shoot an artistic shot at F4.5 with shallow DOF, but not that often.

But with a tripod in camera focus stacking can't be beat but obviously requires a tripod.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow