My SP-570UZ

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 13,666
My SP-570UZ

The C- series camera I retain is the C-990, also known as the D-490. I was not in the market for the C-5050 through to the C-8080. Since at the time I had the C-750UZ, their low zoom range was also a deterrent for me.

In 2007 I bought the SP-550UZ 18x zoom bridge camera. It was the first camera that allowed me to take indoor shots that did not show the noise in the 2-column display of our radio club newsletter on A4 size paper. This was noted by the club members and other readers.

But in 2008, the 20x zoom SP-570UZ bridge camera became what in my opinion the SP-550UZ might have been. The thread on the C-7070 made me take it out of its bag again. The Eneloop type AA cells were still alive after at least a year. Taking them out and putting them back in again showed that my settings were retained.

Messing around with stuff I had not touched for so long brought in the cat:

But when I took a picture of the SP-570UZ, she refused to pose with it:

She did pose when I put the camera on my tripod for a shot of the back side:

She stuck around when I took this shot WITH the SP-570UZ:

I enlarged this shot so it will print to 33x23 inch.

What turned the SP-570UZ into an emergency backup was the SZ-30MR pocket travel zoom doing 600mm instead of only 520mm, and allowing HD1080p videos with Hi-Fi sound, in place of the VGA video with AM broadcast sound on the SP-570UZ.

But the SP-570UZ was the first camera that allowed me to take Gannets In Flight pictures:

This was a bit lucky. The bird was almost standing still in a strong South-Westerly breeze.

The SP-570UZ is however a little handicapped with early morning cruise ship arrivals as compared against my SH-series travel zooms.

However, it may still be working when my travel zooms come to bits in my hands. The SP-570UZ is built to last half a life time, so that is why I keep it.

My pocket travel zooms are now  two  to five years old, therefore doing better than is reasonable to expect.

Still, I am pleasantly surprised that the SP-570UZ is still doing what I expected from it this morning, well after the year of its discontinuation.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-2, SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus Stylus SH-2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow