Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Glen78 Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Thom Hogan hints 50mp for upcoming D820/D850

Reading between the lines of some of Thom's most recent Nikon Rumors discussion thread responses it seems he has an inside source with Nikon regarding upcoming products and while he does play it a bit coy the following exchange seems to indicate 50mp is what he thinks the D810 successor sensor resolution will be.

Here is the exchange from Nikon Rumors:

sickheadache: Where is Thom Hogan? He knows the Nikon Family. What is his thoughts on this matter? Is Sony going to buy Nikon? Will there by a Nikon D820 with 54MP or 42mp or even 72mp? As the Stomach Churns.

Thom Hogan: I'm right where I always am. Well, except for when I'm traveling, which is always.

I posted my thoughts on the original IR article comment section. Then I went to bed ;~). Now I wake up to this.

Sony is not going to buy Nikon.
There will be a followup to the D810. I've heard two rumors on pixel count (hint: not 42mp, and not one of the sizes you list).

Glen [myself]: Scaling the D500 sensor to FX would be 46.5 mp and scaling the D7200 sensor would be 54mp. I personally believe it will fall somewhere in this range (46.5 - 54). Nikon seems to like multiples of 12 so maybe 48mp but then again 50 is a pretty big marketing boundary and they have Canon 5DS R and Fuji GFX to compete with. Probably will be a completely new Nikon designed sensor so the resolution may not relate to other sensors. In that case an even 50 makes a lot of sense.

Thom Hogan: You are correct in your assumptions here ;~).

In this same discussion thread Thom also mentions "I believe Nikon has one really big surprise coming, sensor-wise". 50mp does not really sound like a big surprise to me so he must be referring to something else.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow