Why no direct real-world comparisons of cameras?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
obsolescence
obsolescence Regular Member • Posts: 369
Why no direct real-world comparisons of cameras?

One of the most effective ways to evaluate IQ of cameras in order to make a selection is to compare competitive models with comparable lenses in identical real-world shooting situations (scenes). IOW shoot with two cameras at the same time (outside in daylight scenes) and post the results (both JPEG and RAW).

I bring this up because DPR and other pubs present reviews and samples of individual cameras separately (apart from the Studio Scene Comparison tool which does not enable "real-world" evaluation), and that doesn't show me the evidence I need for deciding on what to buy.

Do I detect a certain fealty to manufacturers' marketing that seeks to sell products based on their other merits while obfuscating the IQ differences? Shooting scenes around Seattle environs with different cameras on different days with different lighting does not give me the comparisons I need to see.

How about a new segment called "Head to Head Comparison" ? For example, let's see how one of the new MF cameras actually compares with a top FF camera -- same scene, same time, comparable focal length. Just mount the two cameras on a bracket on a tripod and shoot.

Let's get competitive. Thanks for listening.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow