Converter or Cropping?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Albert Voss Regular Member • Posts: 384
Converter or Cropping?

I have a Panasonic 45-175mm lens and two teleconverters: IS/L A-200 and C-210.

I made some test shots in our living room: Camera is an E-M1 on a tripod. The subject is a detail from the poster on the wall some 5m away in the center of the picture.

First the lens on 175mm without a converter:

175mm without converters

Now with the A-200:

175mm with A-200

And finally with C-210:

Every shot was focused automatical with edge sharpness display and triggered with a remote control.

At least with my converters I could not see any gains using them. They rather degraded the pics: They did not increase resolution and contrast was lost too.

(I had made the test with my Sigma 60mm first and the converter shots were as bad as with the tele used here.)

After having read quite some praises for these converters here and there, I am disappointed that obviously there is no free lunch. At least with my cheap converters.

Albert Voss's gear list:Albert Voss's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow