FZ 2500, day 1

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aftab
aftab Veteran Member • Posts: 9,302
FZ 2500, day 1

Background: I started my digital journey with FZ10, FZ 30 and FZ 50. Loved them. Then I moved to Canon FF, but always had a soft corner for Panasonic. So, when FZ1000 was released I got one. I took it to Galapagos and loved it. Unfortunately it got stolen in Ecuador. I waited for the upgrade. FZ 2500 came out, but many complained about it's lens. I bought it anyway.

Most pictures below are full size. Some reduced to 3000 pixels wide after cropping. Unless otherwise mentioned all are RAW and processed with ACR.

Lens: How bad is the lens?

A scene with lenses widest angle.

Two shots below are without any sharpening. At 480mm and 400mm. Full size. I have no problem with sharpness. But you can decide.

I don't think there is any sharpness loss between 400mm and 480mm.

Noise: It has noise even at base ISO, especially in blue sky and dark areas. But as you can see noise can be removed without sacrificing significant detail.

Two similar scenes. First with NR and second without. You can look at full size.

AFS: You get the maximum sharpness with still subjects with AFS, either with pinpoint or small AF area.

AFC: There seems to be some sharpness loss compared to AFS. That's expected, I guess. But it's not bad.

BIF: Compared to DSLR it's a nightmare. Main problem is following the bird. Critical focus is another issue, as AFC is not the best even with static birds. But it is possible to get decent shots.

Handling: A dream. FZ 1000 was good, it's even better with touchscreen. Menu system is fantastic. BTW, I haven't figured out how to turn the IS off. Can anyone help please?

Low light focus: Pinpoint focus takes a bit of time in good light, otherwise it's snappy. In low light camera hunts unless you are focusing on an area with good contrast.

Color: With ACR blue is always slight off, usually towards cyan. Can be easily corrected though.

Some OOC JPEGs.

It will be hard to give overall conclusion in just one day. But so far I happy. Main problem with the camera is not the lens, it is the sensor size. But a larger sensor would make the camera bigger and defeat it's purpose. On balance, the compromise makes it an excellent camera.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +9 more
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow