The S1 and a Starling

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
missedshot
missedshot Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: The S1 and a Starling

I haven't had a lot of BIF success but here's what I'm doing.  Kind of a two part process.

I use shutter priority with auto ISO.  That way if a bird is in a dark background and takes off into the bright sky the camera will do a quick auto ISO adjustment.  You can also adjust your shutter speed quickly with the thumb wheel if needed.

Now this part takes practice.  Operating the side zoom control and the temporary quick zoom-in button with the left hand allows the right hand/finger free to only press the shutter release.

I also have the C (custom) mode set for birds in flight as described earlier and set to continuous to capture a burst.  I've got the exposure area ( called photometry ) set to average but not sure what's best on that.

If you're a RAW shooter it doesn't work in continuous though.

I believe the focus is set at the beginning of a burst and doesn't change, so you have to get it right at the beginning.  Honestly, the nine shots go so quick most birds don't have a chance to change focus range!

Don't listen to this old "coot" it's too much fun learning what works for you.  I love my S1.

Watch my video on youtube.  It's called, you guessed it "fujis1", it's the one with the two deer.

missedshot's gear list:missedshot's gear list
FinePix S1 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow