KP. My first impressions

Started 1 week ago | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Benoz
Benoz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,975
KP. My first impressions

More than a review as such this is only a brief of my first impressions about the KP. I received it last Wednesday and only today I managed to take it for a run, though I played with it indoor a few times since I received it.

The first thing I noticed was it's size and compactness. It looks smaller than the K-70 if you consider the body only without the top dials.

It came only with the small size grip (a bit disappointing considering the price of the camera) but after a little handling I found it quite sufficient and adequate for my average size hands. The middle size grip might be a little better but if one wants to add the battery grip the large grip is essential.

A little critique is the position of the USB port. Without checking the manual first I couldn't locate it...just under the right strap holding ring! I think that would have made more sense to position it under the MIC port where they  placed the 'DC in' port and vice versa.

Now, what I really like about the KP:

I have read some criticism in some other reviews and discussions about the so many buttons and dials the KP has.

Firstly I like to congratulate RICOH for introducing all these dials and positioning them in the very best location to make them practical and easy to reach.

Holding the camera (with the small grip) I quickly realised the how well positioned the top dials were. My thumb rests exactly between the rear wheel and the Setting Dial for the Function Dial. My index finger seat comfortably on the shutter (which has been pushed further in for easier reach) and the switch button.  My middle finger seat on top of the front E-Dial.

To note that all the dials are quite firm and therefore difficult to operate inadvertently.

The four way dial has also been moved a bit to the left to avoid clicking on the timer button unintentionally (I have done this a few times with my K-70).

Now, the reason I quite like the dials is because I think of them as a "Menu on Dials". I find it much easier (and more fun) to use the Mode dial, now with 5 user settings, the 4 way dial and now the Function dial settings. All one has to do is select the preferred functions with the C1, C2, C3 setting and ad the values with the Setting dial...no much need to scroll through the menu to find your choice of shooting!

The image quality is just great. Comparable to the K-70 up to about ISO 1600 but after that the KP really shines. Someone might not agree with me, but IMO files are very clean up to ISO 6400 and usable at ISO 12800 and possibly even at ISO 25600.

AF i almost instantaneous with the 55-300 PLM lens. This lens is so sharp corner to corner. I hope there will be and 17-50 or 20-40 in PLM soon.

As I am running out of time I just attach a few photos for now for you to enjoy.

Hopefully tomorrow I will start another thread with more photos.

Regards,

Ben

Benoz's gear list:Benoz's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +5 more
Pentax KP
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Jan 25, 2017
Benoz's score
Average community score
Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow