E-M1 Video Settings?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ctlow
ctlow Regular Member • Posts: 391
E-M1 Video Settings?

This must be well-documented somewhere, but

1. not in the manual, of course, (using "video" and "movie" as search terms reveals Olympus' usual owner's manual organizational problems - info scattered all over the place) and
  2. I can't find it anywhere else.

Well - there's lots about digital-camera video, even about OM-D video, but not answering the questions I have.

And forgive me for putting too much in one message

I was doing a paid stills shoot last weekend, and during some of the lulls I added in a bit of video, and it went quite well. These questions:

• I presume that manual-everything is preferred - ISO, f-stop, shutter-speed, WB, frame rate (and what should be the default fram erate?), exposure-compensation
  • I understand to make the shutter speed about double the frame rate, but don't know why it shouldn't be faster than that
  • So, I'm taking stills in aperture-priority, and something is about to happen and I press the "movie record" button - or should I change to movie-mode first, pros and cons? (I'm not interested in in-camera effects, manual v.4 pg. 42 - should I be? so far doing that in editing, on computer)
  • what about other settings? In regular non-movie mode, using the record button, it seems to go to C-AF automatically when I press "Record" and revert to my setting when stopping recording; the LCD displays the movie recording whether I had it on LCD-view or not; the focus target apparently switches automatically to "single-target"
  • I note that autofocus will still work, but not well or rapidly - thankfully, I had a lens with a manual-focus ring, so could switch to that very quickly, although focussing then required a lot more twisting than I had anticipated
  • little is configurable during recording? (v.4 manual, pg. 71)
  • What video-resolution settings? Menu 1. For stills, I follow an adage I learned long ago, "everything always at maximum size/resolution/quality"
  • What frame rate?

Here are also some summary-notes from watching:

youtube.com/watch?v=w8BzeZEGEYY:

Settings:

• manual: aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB, frame rate
  •  might need ND-filter in daylight
  • no sharpening
  • slight desaturation
  • manual focus
  • consider tripod
  • external microphone better, separate audio (sync'ed later) ideal
  • lens: depends - all have their place, wide/tele, fixed/zoom
  • low contrast for night-work
  • slight underexposure in daylight
  • better to get it right in camera rather than "pushing" it in post, more of a video than stills issue

<sigh>

Thank you.

Charles

-- hide signature --

ctLow Photog

ctlow's gear list:ctlow's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow