OM-D E-M1 Mark II and C-AF while zooming

Started Mar 18, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joakim Edsjö Regular Member • Posts: 180
OM-D E-M1 Mark II and C-AF while zooming

Hi!

While at a recent ski trip I was a bit unhappy with the C-AF performance of my E-M1 Mark II with the 12-100/4. I got some really good and sharp photos, but the fraction of images in focus was rather low. The camera would often lose focus completely until it several frames later regained it again. I then read the E-M1 Mark II review in Amateur Photography,

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compactsystemcameras/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review/5

where they say "However, the camera will rapidly lose focus if the lens is zoomed during continuous shooting." Anyway, this got me thinking if zooming while using C-AF was the problem. Today I made some tests (C-AF, group of 9, Cont low 10 fps) with one of my kids running towards me and once you test it, it is obvious, the hit rate is quite high if not zooming, but gets quite bad if zooming while shooting. I am a bit surprised that I haven't seen this problem mentioned much elsewhere. It seems to me it would be a rather common technique to zoom while shooting in C-AF, this is at least the technique I have been using with my DSLR kit without any problems. Right now I have only tested with my 12-100/4, but will test with some of my other lenses to see if it could be lens-dependent. What's your experience, do you see this problem as well or if it it working better/worse with some lenses?

I presume this is something that could be fixed in a firmware update, but who knows if it is on Olympus' agenda or how hard it is to fix.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow