Early adopters - what lenses would you buy if starting with Fuji now?

Started Mar 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Vic Chapman Veteran Member • Posts: 9,415
Early adopters - what lenses would you buy if starting with Fuji now?

If I was to be moving to Fuji now and presented with the entire Fuji lens line up, would I buy the same lenses?

You can buy for 1 or 2 bodies (if you typically work with 2 bodies) and your outlay should not exceed (by much) what you spent over the last 3 to 5 years on Fuji lenses but be frugal if you can.

My current line up is 14, 18, 23, 35, 50, 60, 90 primes and 18-55, 55-200mm zooms. I also have several 3rd party fast "character lenses" but the one most used is the bog standard but unbelievably good (and cheap) Minolta 50mm f2 (in above list) which I'd choose over the Fuji version so I include that as a regular lens.

What would I buy now assuming I was coming without my 5 years experience of and liking for particular Fuji lenses?

I would now buy the 16-55 f2.8 (never had VR on Nikon). I would also have chosen the 50-140 + TC. The 23mm f1.4 and Minolta 50mm f2 would be my fast prime options. I would never have got to try my now fave 14mm because I was previously uncomfortable with wider than 24mm equiv. Neither would I have got to try the super 35mm f1.4, 60 or superb 90mm. I wouldn't have bought the 18-55 or 18mm or 55-200mm. I can't now imagine being without the 14, 60 or 90 and even my underused 35 would be missed. The 55-200 is a great lens but it wouldn't replace the 60 and 90 as closely as does the 50-140 f2.8. It is more than possible that overall I'd lose a tiny bit of IQ and bokeh especially from the 90mm f2 - but what I don't know about, I don't miss.

My final list: 16-55 f2.8, 50-140 f2.8 +TC, 23mm f1.4, 50mm f2. I might add the Sammy 12mm f2 since it's noticeably wider than 16mm and fast too. Anything more would be pure icing on the cake but as they would be untried, they would be unmissed.

How would your lists look?

List what you have now and what you would buy if starting afresh - if you already swapped from first purchase (say from 18-55 to 16-55) include that too.

The lists are purely subjective so please don't argue with the choices made by others or their reasons.

Vic

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan. Writer, comedian, poet, Goon. 1918 - 2002

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +12 more
Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow