Former A57 user...get new SL1 or used T3456i on Ebay?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pittguy53178 Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Former A57 user...get new SL1 or used T3456i on Ebay?

Former Sony user. Primary reason I am looking is well all of my gear got stolen and I am cameraless. But due to Sony's neglect of the lower end SLT line I likely would have been jumping ship anyways to either Canon or Nikon.

My price range is around $450 total. I know I won't get top of the line, but I am on a budget. I simply want to take great pictures of my family, and most importantly, my 4 year old boy. He is much cuter than my wife

The A57 took really good pictures. Some of my family members have framed their pics at their houses. I liked the menu, and well the dedicated ISO button since that is the option I changed the most.

I am just unsure if I should try to get a deal on a newer SL1 or get a deal on a used t3i or above on Ebay. I do want to take videos with the camera from time to time, but mostly it will be still shots. My iphone 7plus is my primary video taker since I have it with me everywhere and the 4k is nice.

Is the SL1 a decent camera for a non-beginner?

I would obviously want the 18-55 lens and possibly a zoom. (I had a 75-300 for the A57) an the portrait lens so total of 3. The Chinese 1.8 knockoff sold on Ebay for Canon might be an option at first.

Any thoughts or insights?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow