Hummingbirds and Spring

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dyun27
Dyun27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,699
Hummingbirds and Spring

Now that the time-change is finally upon us (in some States anyway), I have more light to play with after work. First goal was to shoot hummingbirds feeding on cherry blossoms and pride of madeira flowers.

This little bird was gorgeous, but unfortunately he liked to keep his head in the shade the whole time. I'll have to go back and find more of these.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I shot this one below at ISO12,800. I'm surprised by how well it turned out, though I did have to do a lot of slider experimentation to reach this result. If you like the way this one looks, I achieved the lower noise by using Capture NX-D, selecting "Noise Reduction - Better Quality 2013", I set the "Luminance Intensity" to "70" (but maybe even 50 will do), sharpness set to "50", "Color Intensity" set to "50" and sharpness for that set to "50" also.

"Unsharp Mask" is set to "Intensity" of 70 (but 50 would also do), "Radius" set to 7 or 8, "Threshhold" set to "0".

I downsize all my web uploads to max 2000px, so if you plan to export as a bigger file, you may not want to use more than an "Intensity" setting of "30" and "Radius" of "5 - 7".

I also brought the D750 along:

-- hide signature --
 Dyun27's gear list:Dyun27's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D500 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow