Shooting with primes on once in a lifetime/vacation trips.... how do you do it?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Senior Member • Posts: 3,766
"It depends"

I usually take a small bag of primes with me on vacation, as well as a 70-210/4 (just in case). I don't carry them around with me, I pick one based on my "best guess" for the particulars of the day. Of course, my vacations might be different than yours, and my ideas for what I want to come home with might be different as well.

My most recent vacations have been with my sister and her family, either in NYC or the NC outer banks (OBX). So it was a lot of city walkaround use, or beach shots, and many involved nephews and dogs. I found that a 50/1.4 or 35/1.4 worked very well, in particular as the sun went down or I moved indoors. My 24 is a bit too wide for general purpose use, but perfect for particular events or scenes.

I found my 85/1.4 to be of little use unless I planned around it, but my sister did appreciate that I got a set of decent portraits of her kids

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow