X-S1 compared to dSLR at Busch Gardens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JPEG Shooter Contributing Member • Posts: 914
X-S1 compared to dSLR at Busch Gardens

I think, for the most part, the X-S1 is a great travel/vacation camera, but not so great for wildlife (in this case, at an animal park). Compared to my dSLR with my big (400mm lens, which is equivalent to 600 on my crop sensor), the IQ of the X-S1 just can't hold a candle. Now, I'm talking about $2300 worth of camera and lens vs. the X-S1 so I know it's really not fair to compare. But it sure pointed out to me how much the X-S1 falls behind. It's still okay, mind you, but just okay, especially when one does not pixel-peep. One of the best points about it is the wide angle, which I lose with my 70-400.

I recently bought an annual pass to Busch Gardens Tampa, which is basically an amusement park and zoo all in one. In three visits so far this year, I've taken my X-S1 twice and my dSLR once. Based on my experience thus far, in the coming months, if I am with friends/family, I will take my X-S1 just for convenience sake. If I am going solo, I'm taking my dSLR with big lens even though it starts at 70mm (105 equivalent).

Here's some of the best so far. The first 17 are with my dSLR, the rest are with the X-S1. You can see which camera was used by looking at the info below the image. All shot JPEG and processed using Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop.

The gallery is locked because of internet bots that throw off the hit count. Just type enter to get in.

http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr/busch_gardens

Comments, criticisms, critiques and anything else is welcome.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

JPEG Shooter's gear list:JPEG Shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow