Shooting with primes on once in a lifetime/vacation trips.... how do you do it?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sportyaccordy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,000
Shooting with primes on once in a lifetime/vacation trips.... how do you do it?

On my big trip last year I had a bag of primes and about halfway through I was ready to scream. I mainly used my UWA zoom and 50, and I sold most of the primes when I got back to fund a 24-70 2.8 purchase.

I did a small trip more recently with the 24-70 2.8 and 1 prime... I never took the 24-70 2.8 off.

I definitely have a little anxiety about getting shots exactly how I want with framing and the like.... that's definitely more important than lens speed or all out IQ when I'm somewhere like Machu Picchu. Plus some of my best shots were with kit zooms. Now if I'm with friends or somewhere I go regularly, I can relax, put a prime on and make it work/take what I can get. But I feel like a lot of folks are all prime all the time.... how do you do it? What's the thought and shooting process behind heading somewhere like the fjords with a couple of primes? Do you miss shots often? How do you plan shoots? When I got into FF I really thought I'd be a prime guy, but I discovered quickly that for travel at least I definitely am not.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7 II Samyang AF 50mm F1.4 FE Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow