Complete package. OM-D E-M1 mark ii

Started Mar 16, 2017 | User reviews thread
Flat view
Henrik72 Regular Member • Posts: 142
Complete package. OM-D E-M1 mark ii

I have been a happy user of m43 cameras since I bought the GH4 in June 2014. Since then I have added the GM1 and then also the OM-D E-M1. Recently I had the opportunity to trade in the E-M1 for the mark ii. Obviously having to also pay a bit of cash. I thought longhand hard if it was worth it but after having used the new camera for a couple of weeks now I can say that for me it was totally worth it.

I bought the camera with the new 12-100/f4 lens and together they are perfect for my outdoor needs.

I prefer the new grip on the E-M1 mark ii over the old one. The new battery is good. Obviously battery life is not as good as a dslr but it is good enough for me. I will get a spare battery just to be safe though. I also very much like the dual card slot and the fact that the cards now fit the same way into the slot as on the GH4.

Image quality has indeed improved and is now definitely good enough for all my needs. With the 12-100 lens there is almost never any need to increase ISO unless there is movement you want to freeze. Even night shots can be done hand held.

Auto focus is also improved. Especially C-AF. It really does work for all types of shooting. We could maybe do with a bigger selection of auto focus points but that may come in firmware update.

I haven't used the high res mode that much yet but I feel it has potential. And last but not least. The thing that made me buy the Em-1.2 instead of waiting for the GH5, video is so much better. The 4K modes are really great. Image quality is stunning and the IBIS works great. C-AF could be better and focus pulls are sometimes too quick. Again this I believe will be improved on in an update.

The only thing missing for me is a slow motion movie mode. And maybe the EVF could be a little better. It has great refresh rate but cooler is sometimes a bit off.

Price is of course high but the value is still great I feel so for me this is 5 stars! I haven't used flash with the camera so I cannot comment on that.

Henrik72's gear list:Henrik72's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II +12 more
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Sep 19, 2016
Henrik72's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
Action / sports
Landscapes / scenery
Low light (without flash)
Flash photography (social)
Studio / still life
= community average
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow