Focus Point Questions: AF-C Mode + Image Playback (D500)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kenny08 Regular Member • Posts: 147
Focus Point Questions: AF-C Mode + Image Playback (D500)

Ok, new Nikon newbie so be gentle!  Just trying to get things straight being from a Canon world.

Just a few questions:

Assume the scenario:  AF-C mode using Dynamic Area Mode (D153 setting), and I have initial focus point  (red square) on an eye of a Hawk.

I pan the camera to keep up with the hawk while keeping the object within the D153 perimeter markings of the viewfinder - the assumption here is that the focus point will move and attempt to keep on the eye of the hawk.

Questions:

1.  Am I suppose to see the red focus square move along while I'm panning?  In my case, it does not as it stays on one spot (My assumption is is that the focus point is moving but is not visible even though it continues to show the initial set focus point.

2.  During Image Playback, the focus point also remains static on the same spot/area that was initially set.  In this case, the first frame was on the eye of the hawk. Subsequent image frames would have the red focus square remain at the same location, and since I"m panning the camera, the eye of the Hawk of course is no longer at the same spot when the initial focus point was selected.  This observation is normal??  I was thinking that the Focus Point would be displayed to reflect the dynamicity of the changing focus point in AF-C mode.

Thanks

Kenny08's gear list:Kenny08's gear list
Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow