Back focus or missed focus?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ken G.
Ken G. Veteran Member • Posts: 5,896
Back focus or missed focus?

Was out shooting with the D500 and 200-500 yesterday, and am not sure yet if it's me or the setup.  The focus point shows on the bird, but it's not focused - it appears the ground is in focus a bit behind the bird.  It's a small enough bird that I'm not sure if the focus point is off a bit, or just what is happening.  The hawk shots posted here don't seem to be in sharp focus either, and the focus point shows right on the mark.

I've never fine tuned a lens before, but with the D300 images never needed them to my eye.  If I were to fine tune this particular setup, would you suggest using the built in AF Fine Tune or one of the commercial products?  (I've read the Nikon fine tune can vary wildly)

-- hide signature --

Camera gear in profile.
Ken G.

Ken G.'s gear list:Ken G.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +3 more
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
S I
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow