5D IV battery grip

Started Mar 11, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,937
5D IV battery grip

There are plenty of discussions on the 5D IV, so there is no point in me chiming in. I'm talking grips.

I'm an editorial photographer and just bought two Canon BG-E20 grips to go with my two 5D IV upgrades. The grips feel very similar to the grips used on Canon's 5D II and 5D III bodies and the weather sealing seems excellent. Batteries sort of "slide and click" into the battery tray so they don't fall out and the tray fits snugly.

That said, I agree with others about the funky battery tray. It feels flimsy for an item that will be pulled and replaced hundreds/thousands of times during the life of the camera. I don't see why Canon didn't use the simple slide-in design they used on earlier grips.

The battery tray fastening mechanism for the batteries is lightweight brittle plastic and I can see this part failing first, especially in icy weather or if you get in a hurry. Canon has produced "dud" grips in the past, most notably the flimsy grip for the 5D II, so we'll see how this works.

My two cents.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow