A good camera to learn photography with

Started Mar 10, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,949
A good camera to learn photography with

Last year I bought my SX150IS for $20 in a pawn shop, and went on to develop almost an obsession with photography.  By and by I dropped my camera and lost the lens shutter and the battery door is sprung, but it still works.

Canon replaced this camera with the SX160IS that had upgraded HDMI output and Live View, and I own and have reviewed that camera as well.  The Powershot SX series took two AA batteries, and had full manual controls.  The SX150IS might have had the best image quality of them all, but all of the cameras had excellent image quality for their class and price.

These are great cameras to learn on.  They have full manual controls, Auto, Program, Scene, Aperture, Shutter, Movie,, Art, and Discreet. It's essentially the same camera as the later SX160IS with a 14mp sensor and minus Live View and HDMI.

The non enthusiast consumer might not use their camera very often, and these took AA batteries available everywhere.  They take great pictures on Auto.  The menus are deep enough to give the beginner plenty of learning room.  And, although the camera is slow to operate, the beginner won't know that until they have a full blown DSLR or MFT camera.

For the money, the AA battery powered Canon SX150IS and the others in the series that ended with the SX160IS are a great learner's camera, and a valuable addition to every camera bag for a back up camera.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
Canon PowerShot SX150 IS
14 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 – 336 mm (12×)
Announced: Aug 23, 2011
Humansvillian's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow