Confirmed by Rico Pfistinger - XT20 uses PDAF and Face Detect, the first for Fuji!

Started Mar 8, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Absolutic
Absolutic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,582
Confirmed by Rico Pfistinger - XT20 uses PDAF and Face Detect, the first for Fuji!

This morning I briefly chatted  with Rico Pfirstinger, who tests all Fuji pre-production cameras and (used to) blog about them on Fujifumors site.

Rico confirmed to me XT20 PDAF+FD feature. He saw this feature in pre-production firmware and wasn't sure it was being made into the production model.   He is glad it did.

Why Fuji did not highlight this breakthrough (for Fuji) feature in its literature/presentations?  We can only speculate that Fuji does not want to capitalize XT2 sales and/or get XT2 owners upset that they are missing this monumental AF feature available on a camera half the price.

I told Rico that it appeared to me that Face Detect on XT20 in general appeared to be miles away faster than on XT2 in any mode.    Rico said that it does not 'appear' , it is of course faster because again it uses PDAF, and on XT2 and previous cameras, FD only uses CDAF, so it is slower.

Rico did remind me that even on XT20, the above holds true only for photo.  For video, you want to use FD, you are back to Contrast AF even on XT20.  So no advantage for video AF.

Rico did not know whether the feature can be implemented in XT2/XPRO2.

Another interesting point Rico made: While X100f came out on the same day as XT20, X100f lacks FD+PDAF feature.  Only XT20 does have it.

I shared my disappointment with Rico that in 99.99% of so called COMPARE XT2 AND XT20 blogs, reviews, previews, and youtube video, NO REVIEWER so far noticed this difference.   So much for their testing.    Hopefully dpreview editors if they read this post, will thoroughly test the feature when they review XT20.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +6 more
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow