An alternative to the 32/1.2

Started Mar 5, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,092
An alternative to the 32/1.2

As you all know the 32/1.2 is a costly lens, and some of you know that I recently bought the Sigma 30/1.4 DC HSM 'Art', which is nearly $300 cheaper.

So I couldn't resist doing a little test at various apertures with both lenses on my J5.

The Sigma is slightly bigger, slightly heavier, and it might focus a bit faster, but the 32 is no slouch, so no matter. Instant focusing is what I call it in both cases.

My model was Charlie the Tiger, as Theodore the Bear was otherwise occupied (I think he was asleep in the bedroom).

Anyway, my conclusion is that the 32 has a tiny edge in sharpness, but considering the fact that the Sigma works equally well on my DX and FX bodies, I think it wins easily (when used with a FX body it works great stepped down to around f/2.8, as then the vignetting is long gone —even at f/1.4 it works great if you crop the image to avoid the image's corners. Impressive for a cheap DX lens!).

Well here's Charlie:

Not much difference, is there?!

-- hide signature --

Tord_2 (at) photographer (dot) net
Mostly Nikon V1, V2, J5, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +25 more
Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow