Leica SL Sensor Measurements Published at PhotonsToPhotos

Started Mar 2, 2017 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Source of noise in long exposures

vbd70 wrote:

Jared, thank you for this. Unfortunately for me, I don't do night landscapes necessarily, in fact I mostly do very long exposures during the day; and as you said I do them for expressive reasons, so for me - taking your example as an example - if I need, say, 8 minutes at ISO 100 for the clouds to be blurred just so, going for 1 minute at ISO 800 is not an option.

So in short - you are saying that exposure time being equal I am better off using ISO 200 rather than ISO 50 or keeping noise down? Thanks!

The tricky thing is that Bill's measurements are highly relevant to people doing "normal" exposures who want to extract the best performance from their cameras, while your images are being affected by thermal noise issues due to the very extended exposure times that are more like those encountered in astrophotography. Because you are blurring movement in your scenes, then the technique of stacking multiple images would be a possible approach. However, the aesthetic effect of say an 8-minute exposure vs a stack of 8 1-minute exposures would be a matter of personal taste.

In general, techniques by themselves are neither good nor bad - only photographs are good or bad!

J.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow