First studio shoot with M5 - AF disappoints in low light

Started Mar 1, 2017 | Discussions thread
Don Dement Contributing Member • Posts: 581
Re: First studio shoot with M5 - AF disappoints in low light

Based on all these posts, I decided to test my new M5 with the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 and adapter. The 50mm and 1.6 crop (80mm eq.) equates close enough to a good portrait FL for informal shots.

It's night here now, so I turned off office lights and aimed across the room, with the only light coming from my computer screen. I could barely see to walk around.

With the AF light on, or even with my finger over the light, focus was instantaneous and as sharp as we can get with ISO 25600. I had to use that to get decent shutter speed because I didn't have a tripod handy, so the noise was evident in the result, but the autofocus locked on right away - no hunting, blue squares - without the AF light regardless of the resulting picture. The lens blocks half of the AF illumination anyway.

Not scientific, but it gives me the idea that I should take that lens on my trips for in-restaurant and night street shots. So thanks to all here for discussing this.

Don Dement's gear list:Don Dement's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow