Douglas F Watt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,420
Re: Bicycle Test

PVCdroid wrote:

Rishi Sanyal wrote:

Tequila MockingjayBird wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Tequila MockingjayBird wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I found one that was slightly out of focus. What were you doing differently that allowed you to get better results than DPR? What burst mode did you use because I counted 6-8 frames per second? If you were shooting 12fps did you eliminate out of focus shots?
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

I did not eliminate any shots. They were on high burst rate.

I counted the shots with the timestamp in EXIF and you weren't getting anywhere near 12fps. As I said 6-8 fps.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

but all are good to go. See? Rather than crying about shots that are OOF, I prefer AF priority shooting.

AF priority on the a99 II uniquely murders the frame rate when there are large changes in subject distance, dropping the camera well below 12 fps, far lower in our bike test in particular.

More so than other cameras. Therefore, we couldn't test the camera in AF priority mode, and instead chose 'Balanced Emphasis' - the default setting.

Most other cameras - choosing 'AF' priority doesn't drop frame rate very much, but the a99 II simply starts stuttering in this mode, so we couldn't use it (for this test). For the a6300, though, for example, we were able to choose 'AF' priority and still have it perform near its max frame rate.

-- hide signature --

Rishi Sanyal, Ph.D
Technical Editor | Digital Photography Review
dpreview.com (work) | rishi.photography (personal)

The AF priority mode of balanced emphasis should have been disclosed in the review. That explains a lot.

It sure does and it sure should have been disclosed! And as for AF priority 'murdering' the frame rate, that's sure not my experience (at least not with my lenses - perhaps with theirs). I shoot that way (in AF priority) all the time. Way better if you want high keeper rates. Another suboptimal setting, justified with another assertion without data and against what most report (that AF priority kills hi-speed shooting).

It's a fractal. The more you zoom in or out, the more the pattern is fundamentally the same.

-- hide signature --

Sony A99ii-A77ii-RX10III-RX100III
Sigma: 8-16 f4.5-5.6, 500 F4.5 EX DG APO
Tamron: 70-200 f2.8 USD
Sony ZA: 24 f2, 85 1.4, 135 1.8, 24-70 2.8 SSMII
Sony: 16-50 f2.8, 100 f2.8M, 70-400 f4-5.6 G2
Minolta: 600 f4, 70-210 f4 ('Beercan'), 28-135 f4-4.5 ('SH')
DFW

Douglas F Watt's gear list:Douglas F Watt's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Marti58 MOD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow