Switching From Sony to Fujifilm

Started Mar 3, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nuzzart Regular Member • Posts: 271
Switching From Sony to Fujifilm

I had been looking for a replacement for my Nex-5N some time. It was a great little camera but it had one limitation - no EVF and it was starting to show its age.  I had consider a Sony replacement.  The A6000 was a great deal but it was already several years old and the A6500 with IBIS was tempting but that more than I wanted to spend so I started started looking to other brands.  Also Sony was going in a direction I couldn't go. I had bought into a mid-tier system and Sony seemed to be headed high-end.  I had no interest in FF.  I finally decided on a silver X-T20/18-55.

There were several reasons I switched to Fujifilm. First is their continued support for both mid tier and high-end APC sensor cameras. Their user interface and lens lineup are outstanding. I mostly shoot JPG and their JPGs are among the best and finally the X-Trans sensor. I have compared many instances from the X-Trans sensor and the Sony APC sensors. Both produce amazing images but I prefer the look from X-Trans sensor, especially at high ISO.

The 18-55/2.8-4.0 lens should be a perfect travel lens.  All the reviews indicate that it is an excellent lens.  I considered the 18-135mm lens but it is slower and some what heavier. I dumped the exif from several trips I had taken into a spreadsheet and analyzes the data in a pivot table. I found that 70-80% of the pictures fall within the 18-55mm range.  When I need something longer I have have a Minolta Rokkor 100mm and a 135mm with an adapter and  the 58mm/1.4 for something faster.  Eventually I may add some Fujifilm primes or a long zoom.

Right now I am still working my way through the manual.  My first impression is that the X-T20 is a solid little camera that I will keep for a very long time.

Now I better get back to the manual ...

nuzzart's gear list:nuzzart's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +18 more
Fujifilm X-T20 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow