Out of excuses to not buy the E-M1 Mark II - DSTE Generics are out!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Felice62
Felice62 Contributing Member • Posts: 620
Re: Bad logic ..

Airmel wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Airmel wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Airmel wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Sam Bennett wrote:

brianric wrote:

Sam Bennett wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

If you had the money to buy the camera you would also have money to buy the Olympus batteries and not risk an expensive camera on possibly faulty generic batteries.

Why would you say that? When I buy mine, I'm buying two E-M1 Mark II's, and 12 batteries. The difference in price is huge for me. It's already a stretch for me to buy the bodies.

When you do buy your setup with generic batteries report back on life versus OEM, any problems, etc.

Will do. I have tons of DSTE batteries I've used with my E-M1's over the years, so I don't expect there to be any issues other than a possible dud here and there.

-- hide signature --

I second. I have always bought third party spare batteries with more than acceptable results, for at least 8 years now. Canon DSLRs, Sony MILCs, Olympus and Panasonic m43s .. never had a problem.

Nor did 99% of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners.

Sure I might have incurred a couple of times in batteries whose performance wasn't on par with originals but that saved me quite a few euros I used elsewhere (lenses?).

In extensive tests of perhaps a dozen 3rd party battery pack manufacturers offerings, I have only found one brand that can even approach the performance of OEM packs.

So while I understand the liabilities in case of warranty claims due to failing batteries damaging your camera body (never seen one myself) I simply don't share the fanboy's opinion about third party products...

Since when does the desire to avoid loss of an expensive camera give a photographer "fanboy" status?

Just to be clear, whenever you fly to no matter which destination, the aircraft you're flying on is likely to have some 'third party' (called PMA) parts installed onboard..

This is truly one of the worst analogies ever posted on this forum.

In order to manufacture a replacement part under a PMA, an aftermarket mfr. must provide proof that the replacement part meets or exceeds the quality, functionality and safety of the original approved part it replaces.

At this late date, it should be well known to all that 3rd party camera battery packs do not meet any specifications whatsoever. The "specifications" printed on their labels are laughable, and their lower cost is enabled by using inferior storage cells and complete omission of the overheat/overcharge safety circuitry required with any properly designed Li-Ion technology pack.

-- hide signature --

AirMel
http://www.mel-photo.com
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that know binary and those that don't.

ANd of course you can demonstrate by facts that 3rd party battery makers do not meet any standard...

What would in your expert opinion be a standard for OEM battery pack?

In this case, the performance specifications are dictated by Olympus, and the safety specifications (to insure the pack doesn't start a fire) are provided by a a body of manufacturers and government entities that oversee the markets they are sold in.

I clearly stated that for me it doesn't matter wether or not a 3rd party battery gives me 30% less shots than oOEM do. If you're unconfortable with that keep overpaying OEM batteies.

What I am uncomfortable with is utilizing these high energy density power sources without the appropriate and well known safeguards that are a requirement for Li-Ion powered products.

If you want to use clone battery packs, do by my guest. Just make sure you don't leave the room while your pack is charging.

Defending this position is simply ridiculous.

No kidding.

I'm done with it.

Good move

-- hide signature --

AirMel
http://www.mel-photo.com
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that know binary and those that don't.

Right.

-- hide signature --

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow