First studio shoot with M5 - AF disappoints in low light

Started Mar 1, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Senior Member • Posts: 4,112
First studio shoot with M5 - AF disappoints in low light

Admittedly, the conditions were demanding even for a DSLR. It was a low key studio shoot, with the only source of illumination (before flash) being the modeling lamps of several Buff strobes (I forget the exact model). And, needless to say, this being a test of the M system, I tried using an M lens, specifically the 18-150mm. Sad to say, this combo simply did not work. The lens was too slow to AF under these conditions. Raising the light level to probably the equivalent of 1000+ watts continuous, and the AF worked reliably but was slow, and in fact everything about this camera is still slow when compared to the mirrorless competition. Nothing was intolerable, more like annoying. The responsiveness of even simple tasks like swiping the rear LCD to swap photos or move the AF point was just sluggish.

The strengths? The same as before - the image quality. The M5 continues the fine tradition of rendering images as only Canon can. It's superb, even with a consumer lens.

But I cannot use it for any serious shoots for the reasons cited. This may seem like I am recommending against this camera, but that is far from the truth. If the price does not deter, I actually highly recommend it because low light is not everything unless you happen to be into astrophotography I guess.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow