Overall a Decent alternative to the Nikon Version

Started Feb 28, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,494
Overall a Decent alternative to the Nikon Version

Overall, this is a decent alternative to the NIkon alternative, that costs almost twice as much.

Just make sure that you get a good copy, as I had to exchange mine once as the first one had some inconsistencies in the image quality.  The replacement works fine as it should.  Perhaps the biggest plus side to the Tamron version of the lens is that you get VC, which can be helpful in low-light, which is where I tend to use mine quite a bit (for example, doing low-light street photography or photography at night in large cities where I can capture some great wide angle shots).

The lens is a bit heavy, but not really that much different than the Nikon version (i've shot bot the Nikon version and the one I have and from a weight standpoint, they feel about the same to me--the Nikon does feel a bit more heavy-duty and the Tamron feels a lilttle more plastic-y feeling but it does the job regardless.

I'm going to give this one a 4.5/5, but mainly because of Tamron's QC... variation within a lens line.  If their variation was a bit smaller, then I'd be more inclined to give it a full 5 stars, so my -0.5 stars is more  to the QC of Tamron than the lens itself.  (I have other fellow photographers that have run into similar issues with their Tamron lenses--some requiring exchanges) so the lens itself is fine, but the company needs to tighten up copy variations within lens lines.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 GoPro Hero7 Black GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +12 more
Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha DT • A012
Announced: Sep 12, 2014
sirhawkeye64's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow