Carrying a DSLR around

Started Feb 28, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KR Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 900
Carrying a DSLR around

I was reading a long thread a week ago called "Nikon in trouble," and it got into some interesting stuff about where the industry was headed. Late in the conversation, just before the thread reached its max, T O Shooter said,

"These days no one carries DSLRs. The intuitive of a smartphone in a DSLR will still not save them. There's no coolness to a DSLR. You almost look like or have to be a dork to carry one. Hence why I shoot, BIF. I don't have to pull out the camera until I'm 5 miles into the woods. Face it - it's over ... Take the DSLR out of the hands of everyone you see over 50 and the occasional Chinese tourist and what's left. Not many on a day out and about."

That really struck a chord with me. For years, I've lugged various DSLRs around without attracting too much attention, but suddenly it is seeming more unusual to be pulling one out for casual occasions. It is for this reason that I'm starting to consider something like a Sony A7 variation, where you can put a 35mm prime on it and shoot it subtly using a flip out screen ... but I'm not sure I'm ready to go there.

Point being, I still love my D610 DSLR but am staring to feel more out of place using it. And yet, in the interim, I am newly committed to using it more.

Thoughts?

KR Photo's gear list:KR Photo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-50mm F4-6.3
Nikon D610 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow