Carrying the A6300 with a heavy zoom lens

Started Feb 25, 2017 | Discussions thread
Miki Nemeth
Miki Nemeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,504
Sony A5100 with (heavy) zoom lenses

William Curtindale wrote:

I also use the same setup with my A6300 w/LA-EA3 + 70-400mm G.

I have comfortably carried this rig for six to seven hours on a hot day.

This is a mart idea, thank you.

I have a Canon 100-400mm adapted on the Sony A5100, and the lens is so heavy that don't even try to hold it just with the camera. In this combo the camera is an attachment on the lens. That is I always grab the lens, never the camera. I use the camera right hand grip to counterbalance the lens. Actually, it is quite convenient to handle, if you practice and adapt your style/technique to this beast.

On the other hand the Sony FE 70-300mm is an excellently small lens. I can even shoot one handed with the A5100 at 100mm. I feel the mount safe enough for normal operation. Ignore the cage, it has not any role in holding the camera, it is purely to mount LED lights, Ninja 2 and microphone for video.

-- hide signature --

Thank you for taking the time reading. I use DPReview as my photography/videography blog. If you like it, click Like, or leave some comments.
Have fun on http://www.flickr.com/photos/99398503@N07/sets

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Sony a5100 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow