Converting Pro-100 to pigment inks?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,931
Re: Well............ agree it would be interesting experiment

Petruska wrote:

I agree,

Also agree. Bad idea to put pigment ink in the cartridges intended to have dye ink. That could be much worse than the CLI-42 "yellow jello" problem.

but many past 5 color Canon printers had a single pigment cartridge (with sponge) for plain text printing.

Actually, pretty much every consumer grade Canon printer from "way back when" with BCI-6 carts to more recent CLI-8 to CLI-221 to CLI-226 to CLI-251 to the latest/greatest CLI-271 has a pigment PGI black ink cartridge, primarily for text on plain/copy paper. For example, the CLI-8 has a corresponding PGI-5.

That would exclude semi-pro photo printers like the Pro 9000 family and the Pro-100.

I would say how many of us actually tried to use pigment inks in our Canon dye printers to see if this does indeed work or just trash the printer?

Also agree. It would be an interesting experiment.

I've got OCP pigment ink for my iB4020 with PGI-2200 carts, and could put that ink in some CLI-8 dye carts. (but probably won't).

I'd think color management would be a nightmare to get realistic colors, especially flesh tones.

I have a 5 color Canon IP4300 dye printer that works just fine but I'm at the point of downsizing all my equipment and was going to give it to someone or toss it in the trash. It uses CLI-8 carts, I could load some OEM or Cone pigment ink and see what it does.

I'm considering something similar ... discontinue use of CLI-8 and CLI-42 A3+ printers and do more and more printing with the pigment CMYK iB4020 with a print size limit of letter size 8.5x11". I'll miss the work-horse iP4500 and MX850 for give-away event mementos.

I'm curious what do you anticipate discontinuing and keeping?

A few years ago I had a discussion with OCP, Germany's engineer and ink formulation is critical to form print head ink droplets properly. Every print head version required different ink formulation even if it was dye. I had a large quaintly of Canon BCI-6 dye ink for a Canon I950 and he stated that it would not work satisfactorily with a Canon 9000 MKII printer, the ink droplets would form differently.

Agree. I noticed that the print-heads for the Pro 9000 family involved 2 picoliter nozzle sizes, and the Pro 100 has 3 pl nozzles.

You can get spec sheets for every OCP batch involving rather esoteric parameters, and compare CLI-8 to CLI-221 to CLI-226 to CLI-42 to CLI-251 to CLI-271.

I recall checking, and seeing more or less subtle differences for the inks I purchased for CLI-8, CLI-221, and CLI-42. (no printers owned for CLI-226, CLI-251, or CLI-271).

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow