Is there going to be a successor to X70?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,983
Re: Is there going to be a successor to X70?

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Yannis1976 wrote:

X70 seems to be the smallest APSC camera, possibly perfect for interior, family, low light shooting where size does play a role. Is there going to be a successor?

The Ricoh GRII is the smallest APSC camera. It's slimmer than the Sony RX100.

As mentioned, the X70 was a relatively recent release and wouldn't be due for an update until late 2017 or early 2018.

The GRIII is due to be launched in a few months, probably with 24mp sensor/APS-C. If Ricoh maintains the stellar optics of the GR, I will probably upgrade.

Sal

Well, actually there is no real news (apart from one very vague interview) about an update to the GRll. Ricoh may never bring out an update. And if they do, what if the GRlll to the GRll is the same as the GRll to the GR, which was pretty much nothing at all.

Indeed, who knows if there will ever be an X-70 or a GR III.  The X-70 was the end of the line for Fuji's old generation X-Trans II technology.  But Fuji implemented it in a different way.  The GRII was built in the GR (I) because there wasn't much of an improvement needed.

But the small improvements were important to me.  I still have my GR I and bought a GR II mainly because of the huge buffer (10 RAW+fine JPEG shots in rapid fire before the buffet fills) and the wifi camera remote control which I use often.

As a long-time GR (film) user, I desperately wanted to buy a digital version, but the GRll uses 3-year-old technology, and I couldn't wait for (maybe) a GRlll with (maybe) updated technology.

The X-70 has the same 4-year-old technology as my ancient X-E2. Doesn't mean it can't take decent pictures.

One month ago, I cracked under the pressure and bought an X70, which is proving to be one of the great unexpected joys of my 50+ years messing around with cameras.

The GR II and X-70 are quite different cameras, but both produce great images.  Sounds like you picked the best camera for your needs.

-- hide signature --

Andrew (Brit expat in Taipei, Taiwan since 1985)

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow