RRS/360P best panohead

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
aaron fisher OP Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: RRS/360P best panohead initial thoughts

I just recieved my package today with the pano head and I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the items and that's coming from someone who spent many years behind a cnc mill.  I didn't bust out the calipers but just based on the feel, fit and finish i'm happy.  If there was one thing I didn't like it would be the Gemtune rotator, it has a sticky spot at about 150 degrees.  Its not bad and i'm hoping it will break in a little but if not I may send it back and try another one and see if  I just got a bad one.  otherwise the detents all feel defined without being overly hard.  The vertical rail is nice and stiff with no signs of flexing.  The small sunwayfoto rotator is very nice.  Its smooth rotating around its entire 360 degrees. All the bubbles seem accurate which is more than I can say for my Manfrotto 410 geared head the bubble on that thing was off by a mile from day one which always kind of urked me, after all someone who buys a geared head obviously wants to be able to level the camera but nope bubble $ucks and after getting several hotshoe levels that also were off too I just gave up and used my eye.

Yes Rob you are correct on the versatility as well.  Sometimes you dont need the full rig like when you're doing a single row landscape so when you remove the vertical arm you can then simply clamp your camera with a arca swiss bracket on the horizontal rail in portrait or landscape (this is the one benefit of the horz & vert. rail system I purchased over the one you had sent and as an added bonus you dont need to adjust your nodal rail in the sunfoto clamp on the vertical arm, just leave it set unclamp the camera and

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow