When did digital surpass film in IQ?

Started Feb 16, 2017 | Questions thread
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,713
Re: When did digital surpass film in IQ?

NottsPhoto wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

Do you agree with me that digital IQ is nowadays vastly superior to film in resolution, WB, neutrality (little color cast if any), dynamic range, etc. If you agree at what period of time, roughly, did this happen?

Nick

August 20th 2004.

when Canon launched the 20d.

it was that 8mp chip at that price with those capabilities that effectivley ended the rein of colour neg.... with that one launch (and the 1D mk2 and 1ds mk2 at around the same time ..) everything changed... suddenly digital could return a better result than film for most outcomes... at a lower cost....

this doesn't mean film is worse mind, photography is an art, and it's the end result that counts... so film is just different. but for most average folks and pro's shooting 35mm in a editorial or commercial context, it was the 20d which did it, with its 8mp chip.

I got into digital seriously around the same time so it would be easy to agree with you.

But don't forget the influence the D70 at the same time had as well. Although I don't think it had a sensor as good as the 20D, it was a bit cheaper and it gave Nikon users an affordable entry to digital and still was a bit better than 35mm film. Sometimes things just have to come down to a mass-market price.

By the time Nikon launched FX CMOS in 2007, Nikon film users didn't really have an excuse to hold out anymore..

-- hide signature --

"Boo hoo! If I don't like you I'm going to put you on my ignore list. I bet you'll be devastated"

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow