When did digital surpass film in IQ?

Started Feb 16, 2017 | Questions thread
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,574
Re: When did digital surpass film in IQ?

Saint 112 wrote:

Hi all

I recently had a conversation with people maintaining that film was still superior to digital.

IMHO, one may consider that each type of film, depending on the brand, had something special (a color cast, a grain, a dynamic range, etc.) and that some people may appreciate it for its effects. Yet all of them are some sort of artifact. No film was perfectly neutral.

Do you agree with me that digital IQ is nowadays vastly superior to film in resolution, WB, neutrality (little color cast if any), dynamic range, etc. If you agree at what period of time, roughly, did this happen?

Nick

August 20th 2004.

when Canon launched the 20d.

it was that 8mp chip at that price with those capabilities that effectivley ended the rein of colour neg....    with that one launch (and the 1D mk2 and 1ds mk2 at around the same time ..) everything changed... suddenly digital could return a better result than film for most outcomes... at a lower cost....

this doesn't mean film is worse mind,   photography is an art,  and it's the end result that counts... so film is just different.   but for most average folks and pro's shooting 35mm in a editorial or commercial context,   it was the 20d which did it,  with its 8mp chip.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonephotography.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic GH5S Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow