MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,466
Re: Still...

The Davinator wrote:

PerL wrote:

Jack Dumbbell wrote:

PerL wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

Hi all

I recently had a conversation with people maintaining that film was still superior to digital.

IMHO, one may consider that each type of film, depending on the brand, had something special (a color cast, a grain, a dynamic range, etc.) and that some people may appreciate it for its effects. Yet all of them are some sort of artifact. No film was perfectly neutral.

Do you agree with me that digital IQ is nowadays vastly superior to film in resolution, WB, neutrality (little color cast if any), dynamic range, etc. If you agree at what period of time, roughly, did this happen?

Nick

Many high profile film directors prefers film,

Truth be told, film has long since been subjugated by digital in Hollywood. But don't take my word for it:

...Quentin Tarantinos latest and Star Wars Rouge One was shot on film.

Actually, I think the most recent Star Wars was digital based. The next installment however is indeed back to film. The look was different.

Quite a few of the high profile blockbusters that use film tend to at least partly use formats larger than 35mm.

We are starting to see larger than 35mm digital cameras enter the market(Rogue One was shot with a 56mm ARRI) but I'd imagine the cost is very high still, perhaps beyond the budget of someone like Tarantino($45 million for the hateful 8 with a lot of big name actors and location work) who used 70mm Panavision. Performance probably isn't at quite the same level either, that ARRI camera for example has a horizontal resolution of 6500 pixels and about 20 MP in total.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow