Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP barrym1966 Senior Member • Posts: 3,284
Re: Good luck today

j_photo wrote:

barrym1966 wrote:

j_photo wrote:

barrym1966 wrote:

I think my lightmeter is actually having issues, its a brand new Sekonic L308s

I am using cactus wireless triggers so I position the lightmeter under the subjects chin with the white globe facing the flash when i trigger the flash with my camera the meter most often reads < F1.0 even at full power. The flash is a Metz 64 AF-1 gn60

Am i supposed to be using it with the white globe or should I slide it to reveal the sensor?

This has been my main issue regardless of power setting on the flash there is very little difference in F stop shown on the meter

comments taken on board regarding freezing action with the flash, this was my first time out with both the snow machine and light meter so I stuck with what I knew for that shot, maybe I should have just not bothered with the ambient since I had a kicker flash anyway to provide some backlight

Something isn't right with your flash readings. You need to sort that out when not under pressure to get important shots. I use the same meter. The white dome should be over the sensor. It sounds to me like you may be in the wrong metering mode. For metering flash, press the mode button until the flash symbol (lightning bolt) is highlighted. When ready to take a reading, press the metering button, the flash symbol will start blinking, then fire the flash.

Regarding your photos, if you want to bring in very low ambient light you must either lower the shutter speed or raise iso. Both involve tradeoffs, either possible subject motion blur or reduction in image quality. Unless you can provide more ambient light in some other form, there is just no other way.

In the meantime, it looks to me like you are getting pretty good flash exposures, even if some trial and error is required.

thanks , thats exactly what I am doing with the meter, maybe I got a dodgy one for amazon. I will give it a go at home and see what readings I get. Might end up getting an exchange from amazon

Sorry for this question, but, you are holding the meter at the subject's face with the dome pointed toward the camera, right?

Or the only other thing I can think of is preflashes (from TTL, red eye reduction, or some optical triggers for example) causing the meter to meter those instead of the actual flash for the image.

I love you,  I have a feeling for this wedding I switched to pre flash ttl! Will check in the morning

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow