(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
Re: In Hollywood, digital triumphed over film long ago

digidog wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Jack Dumbbell wrote:

PerL wrote:

Saint 112 wrote:

Hi all

I recently had a conversation with people maintaining that film was still superior to digital.

IMHO, one may consider that each type of film, depending on the brand, had something special (a color cast, a grain, a dynamic range, etc.) and that some people may appreciate it for its effects. Yet all of them are some sort of artifact. No film was perfectly neutral.

Do you agree with me that digital IQ is nowadays vastly superior to film in resolution, WB, neutrality (little color cast if any), dynamic range, etc. If you agree at what period of time, roughly, did this happen?

Nick

Many high profile film directors prefers film,

Truth be told, film has long since been subjugated by digital in Hollywood. But don't take my word for it:

MP3 triumphed over CD...with vastly imferior quality. McDonalds triumphs over high quality restaurants. Your point exactly?

You're talking about a subjective quality of at the very least, hamburgers.

I believe his point was simply the fact shown in the graph; not a quality metric of the movie. Which like rating hamburgers, is subjective. Don't you think a similar graph would be shown for images captured on film vs. digital? Got nothing to do with the quality of the photography from either.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Although, when it comes to quality, can film shoot at 960fps or higher like some of the RED Epic cameras?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow