Your experience trading in used equip to B&H/Adorama

Started Jan 30, 2017 | Discussions thread
HelenOster
HelenOster Senior Member • Posts: 1,188
Re: Your experience trading in used equip to B&H/Adorama

EYeye wrote:

I just sold a lens to Adorama. I read carefully all I could find of Helen Oster's posts about this subject (she works for Adorama). It seems to me the best deal can be had when you are going to purchase something new from Adorama, and want a credit towards that purchase from them. You clearly state this when you send in your old lens (they will send you a prepaid UPS label for you to send your lens to them - write down what your proposal is, and why they should agree, and put this in the box). They will call you. TALK to the person who calls, do not rely on emails.

Do your research first, and see what your lens in your lens' condition sells for on Cameta, KEH, B&H and Adorama. If you can, check Fred Miranda too. Write this down. Be ready to share this information politely with whomever calls you. Have a specific, FAIR price for your gear in mind. Adorama will want to give you about 70% of what the resale by them value is likely to be, BUT.......maybe.......they will make you a better offer when they see the new item in your shopping cart, ready for you to purchase. They can then apply the credit towards the new purchase, and arrange the transaction and shipment.

I suspect B&H is likely to be a similar experience. I just prefer Adorama as they tend to have a better selection of used, refurbished, and demo/open box Nikon gear than what I see at B&H (who I have also bought gear from without issues - new, open box, and refurbished).

I also suspect that my many prior purchases (I told them about this with specifics) helped cause Adorama to make me a better deal (about 85% this time - but my used lens was pristine and desirable - a 28-70mm f2.8 ED IF AF-S - nearly as nice optically as the 24-70mm f2.8 G-ED that "replaced" it - with a nice UV filter, lens cap and pouch).

My new lens arrives Friday. Thanks to Helen for her many posts! Also to Henry Posner, who works for B&H and also posted helpful advice.

Remember: if you do not like the proposed deal - Adorama will ship your lens back at their expense and you can try somewhere else.

Spot On!!!!!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow