SONY 85 1.4 GM Bad Copies?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TopperMcFly
TopperMcFly Forum Member • Posts: 95
SONY 85 1.4 GM Bad Copies?

I am scratching my head wondering if I got two bad copies of the 85 G Master. All the reviews seem to indicate that in terms of sharpness, the GM is hard to distinguish between it and the 1.8 ZEISS. I ordered this lens twice and found the GM to be insanely soft and still seems softer than ZEISS stepped down to 2.0.

I can't seem to get a bad shot with the ZEISS no matter what I do.

I have attached some comparison shots. These were taken on a tripod with a flash with eye AF. I did this quickly before I left for work but they indicate very clearly what I experience routinely with the GM. In fact, these GM shots are the sharpest I have been able to achieve with it. Usually the difference is "MUCH GREATER". This is not rocket science and don't want to get hit with a ton of technical coulda shoulda wouldas. It is not a depth of field or missed focus issue. I shoot the finest SONY lenses day in and day out. My 85 GMs are simply crazy soft wide open and do not match the ZEISS even when at 2.0 vs the the ZEISS at 1.8. That does not jive with one single review. I wonder if I simply received the same lens I returned?

I want to love this lens and I can deal with "dreamy". But this is unacceptable in my opinion. I have the 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 24-70 2.8 GM, 70-200 2.8 GM, 90 Macro. The primes all crush the GM when wide open with the zooms still outperforming wide open in terms of sharpness.

Full size, the bokeh is obviously better with GM. I want to love this lens but for the price, I expect sharpness where I will use it 90% of the time.

Others experiences are appreciated.

85 GM at 1.4

85 ZEISS at 1.8

GM Crop at 1.4

ZEISS Crop at 1.8

GM Crop at 1.7

TopperMcFly's gear list:TopperMcFly's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +6 more
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow