IQ on long adapted lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Auf Reisen Regular Member • Posts: 101
IQ on long adapted lenses?

I've been looking for a cheap option to get a little bit more reach for wildlife (birds and seals, mostly) with my EM10 II. I've been looking at the Commlite adapter (1) and a cheap EF-mount telephoto like the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III, or the Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM which are available used for 60-70 quid.

AF should work with the Commlite adapter, so should electronic aperture control.
I am aware that AF might be rather slow, but how reliable will it be? I could probably just use MF and focus peaking if worst comes to worst.

My question is: What kind of image quality can I expect from such a combination, especially at the longer end? Will it be comparable to the Olympus 40-150R or will it be noticably worse? I've heard some discussion about the resolution of FF frames not being sufficient for smaller sensors, but I haven't been able to make much sense of the discussion.
Does anyone have any other recommendations for affordable lenses with acceptable IQ that go up to 200-400mm?
Cheers!

1) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Commlite-Upgraded-Electronic-Auto-Focus-Panasonic/dp/B01MQ0K5TV/ref=sr_1_1/255-0793681-1939816?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1487237982&sr=1-1&keywords=commlite+ef+to+m4%2F3

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow