Dirt Cheap DSLR for a tryout

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
EL Pistoffo
EL Pistoffo Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Dirt Cheap DSLR for a tryout

I really hope this post doesn't go over badly here on the forum.

Being that there are some good resources for used cameras such as KEH, ebay, Amazon marketplace, etc. I'm fixin to give DSLR's a try. I have various compacts and and used some of the newer models as well as bridge cameras. I want to get my feet wet with a DSLR but not commit much money to it yet if I find it doesn't really fit my needs, or maybe it just fits a specific need so a lot of investment wouldn't be warranted. Just practicing my skills at manual controls and overall familiarity would be the goal at the moment. A camera that would let me adjust speed, aperture, and ISO without having to wade through the menu system.

So a used, and CHEAP DSLR would be something I could try with little risk to my pocket. My familiarity with the Canikon model line up is very limited. What should I consider as far as bodies go? What lens or lenses could I start off with to keep it cheap? One thing to consider I guess is a body that supports glass that could be used on a better body should I decide to continue the DSLR route.

Don't get me wrong, though I'm purposely being cheap with this venture, that is usually not the case with me. I'm willing to spend good money on gear if it's TRULY what I want. I have no shame in messing around with an old, outdated camera if I learn something useful from the experience.

My initial use would be for portrait photography. Budget, I'd like to keep it under $200 for the body. Not sure yet about lenses. Raw editing done in LR.

EL Pistoffo's gear list:EL Pistoffo's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow