Modern Times

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 4,868
Modern Times

Every now and then I read something here that creates in me a feeling of revulsion.

Today this one line taken out of a longer reply in a certain thread stopped me in my tracks:

"I don't care about techniques. i want camera to read my mind and set everything automatically ".

I found this short sentence an incredibly depressing reflection on our modern technological times.

So you spend an often important sum of money on a camera. But you cannot be bothered to spend even a short moment to learn anything about even the basic technicalities of photography. Technicalities a 10 year old can master.

The reply I got when I queried this attitude is that cameras now have shooting modes, like sports mode to take care of "stopping action" for example. That's OK then.

How many ugly threads here are born out of this attitude? I can think of at least one current one. But I see many that are the children of this way of thinking. The culprit is always the camera when things do not turn out as the marketing guys assured us it would.

The vast majority of the "problems" I see here are quite avoidable/solvable with the use of a book explaining the basics of photography that will cost less than an errant Olympus replacement eyepiece. But on the downside will use up a lot of valuable Facebook time.

Or am I just getting old and grumpy?

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
M_G
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow