Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
KRRacing
KRRacing Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

I had the Sigma before the Canon f4L IS and I loved its warmer colour and better bokeh. The OS felt more stable than the Canon's IS. Maybe it was also because the Sigma is heavier. I used it frequently to take portraits of my family. Then I got the Canon at goood price. After some comparison shots I found that the Sigma was as sharp as the Canon at f4 in the centre but the Canon was still significantly sharper at the edges. The Canon also zooms closer than the Sigma. Due to my tennis elbow I finally decided to sell the Sigma. Then I realised that I took less portraits with the Canon even though it is a very sharp lens. I think it's because the Canon's bokeh is not as special as Sigma's. So my suggestion is if you use it mainly for portaits, get the Sigma. For general purpose, get the Canon.

I recently purchased a second hand Canon 70-200 f2.8 II. Surprisingly to me, the f4 is still sharper than f2.8 at f2.8. The f2.8 catches up at f4. The AF on f2.8 at low light is slightly slower than f4. I am not sure whether my copy of f2.8 is not very good or it's overrated or the f4 is underrated. Because of this I haven't made up my mind which one to keep until I use the f2.8 more.

KRRacing's gear list:KRRacing's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow