Trying on Fedora...

Started Feb 13, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rb0321
rb0321 Senior Member • Posts: 2,422
Trying on Fedora...

With a new laptop I've been having some difficulty finding Linux distributions that work well with it. Mint was a no go, Manjaro, and a couple others too. The Ubuntu 16.10 series loaded right up and they work great. KaOS works well on a live stick but have had problems getting it to work well in VirtualBox, and haven't been able to get it to install in a partition on the SSD. None of them scale automatically and I've had to set screen resolution manually.

It took awhile, but it finally dawned on me that the reason I've been having problems with some distros is that they are using Linux kernels below 4.8.x, so likely don't know what to do with Kaby Lake. Duh!

'Tried on' Fedora today (uses kernel 4.8.6) and it works exceptionally well, even scaling installed applications properly without intervention, maybe because it uses the Wayland graphics stack instead of X server?

ARSTechnica had a good writeup on it here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/fedora-25-review-the-best-linux-distro-of-2016-arrived-at-the-last-moment/

As far as graphical packages, it comes with Shotwell pre-installed, while Gimp and digiKam are available in their base repository. I'm guessing I'll be able to install DarkTable and Raw Therapee using the terminal.

Have had trouble getting Fedora to install in an SSD partition, mainly because I'm not familiar with what options to choose in the 'proprietary' Fedora installation interface. I may just install it on a USB stick and call it good.

Anyone here have any experience with Fedora? Know any pros or cons I need to be aware of?

Thanks, rb

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/rb00321/

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow